Yum! I love, love, LOVE Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup. It is one of my favorite dish to eat, anytime.
When you’re sick the only thing you could probably want is chicken noodle soup – and I understand! 🙂 I really want some soup every time I got sick and even my mother always made me some broth when I had a fever, so I will share the magic recipe with you. That thing is a lifesaver!
Be ready to make a lot of soup!
- 3,5 – 4 lbs chicken, cut up, or 2,5 lbs meaty chicken pieces on bones
- 8 cups water (or all chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrot (2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1-1/2 cups dried egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
You’ll also need:
- 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven
- In a Dutch oven bring chicken, water, onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 60-90 min or until the chicken gets soft.
- Remove chicken from broth. Let it cool and then remove meat from the bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from broth.
- Bring broth to boiling. Stir in carrot and celery. Cover and simmer for about 5 min. Stir in noodles. Cover and simmer for 5 min. more or until noodles are tender but still firm. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.
- Makes 8 servings (10 1/2 cups)
Nutrition facts (Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup)
- 152 cal. (kcal)
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- cholesterol (mg) 73,
- saturated fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 8,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- dietary fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 1,
- protein (g) 22,
- vit. A (IU) 1798,
- vit. C (mg) 5,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 8,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 28,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 684,
- Potassium (mg) 331,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 1,