Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas – I know what you’re thinking because it was the same thing that I was thinking. Honey, lime, and chicken? In an enchilada? Really? But I promise – it’s very, very good. So good.
They are just slightly sweet from the honey but have wonderful tang from the lime with a creamy, cheesy chicken filling. I wasn’t sure that anything would top my regular, favorite enchiladas but these completely did.
I see another round of these coming up very soon in our future…
- 6 tbsp. honey
- 5 tbsp. lime juice, from 2-3 limes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 1 lb Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 16 oz. green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and mix the first five ingredients together. Toss with shredded chicken and refrigerate; allow to marinade for at least 1/2 hour.
2. Using 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, coat the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, then roll up the filled tortillas and place in bottom of pan, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas.
3. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream. Pour sauce on top of rolled enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue to bake for 10 more minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.