You know those nights where you take chicken (or some other protein) out of the freezer for dinner and then dinner rolls around and you have no idea what to make with it? Yeah. I hate those evenings. However, this was one time where I didn’t follow my menu for the week and Tex-Mex Chicken & Pasta Skillet turned out so great.
Sometimes I just go with whatever I’m feeling and throw something together, other times I need inspiration and for this dinner, I needed the latter. I turned to my Pasta Revolution cookbook, hoping there was something in it that would spark my interest, and obviously there was.
I do love to make skillet kinds of pasta mainly for the ease of them. They normally come together in one pan and I kind of love a one-dish meal.
Tex-Mex Chicken & Pasta Skillet Ingredients
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. + 2 tbsp. taco seasoning, divided
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups water (plus more if needed)
- 8 oz. small pasta shapes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn, frozen, canned, or cut off of the cob
- 1 can 4.5 oz. chopped green chiles
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced (jarred or made fresh)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste
- Red onion, diced, to taste
- Heat a 12-inch, deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon taco seasoning. Add to skillet and cook 5-7 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove to a plate and cover.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan, if necessary, then add onion and carrots and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in 2 tablespoons taco seasoning and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in water, pasta, and tomato sauce. Cover and bring to a rapid simmer. Stir often until cooked, 9-12 minutes, adding additional water if the water level becomes too low. (This will become the sauce so don’t add too much water but you don’t want the dish to dry out, either.) While pasta cooks, shred or dice cooked chicken.
- Once pasta is nearly cooked, add chicken, corn, green chiles, and roasted red pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine. Top with cilantro and red onion before serving.