Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins really are your quintessential lemon poppy seed muffins and they are as delicious as you would imagine; moist, tender, and full of flavor. The lemon is a burst of freshness and the poppy seeds are such a fun addition and add an interesting color and texture. I truly love these muffins and have had my freezer stocked with them for awhile now 🙂
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
For the glaze (optional):
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, adding one at a time, and blend well after each egg. Add in the lemon zest and the vanilla extract.
- Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then add half of the yogurt, beating each addition until incorporated. Add remaining half dry ingredients and then yogurt. If you are using a mixer, set low speed.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared liners, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake muffins for about 18-20 minutes until a tester or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5-10 minutes in cups, then transfer to a wire rack and leave them to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- ON WARM MUFFINS: pour a small amount and let the glaze set while muffins are cooling before serving.
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cane Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Neutral Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2/3 Cup Vegan Yogurt
- 2 Flax Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
The way to cook them is the same, just adjust the ingredients.