Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake was calling to me and who I am to turn down cake? 🙂
This cake is super easy to make, even if it sounds hard. It will turn out moist, with semi-sweet chocolate ganache filling, and dark chocolate ganache frosting. To those who crave chocolate!
Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake Ingredients
For the cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (any: Dutch-process, dark, regular, etc.)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. espresso powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups water
For the semi-sweet ganache filling:
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (or other flavoring agent of choice)
For the dark chocolate ganache frosting:
- 8 oz. dark chocolate
- 2-4 oz. heavy cream
To make the cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease and flour three 8″ round cake pans.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, briefly combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in the eggs, oil, and vanilla, carefully beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary. Gradually add the water, beating just until smooth. Divide the batter between the prepared pans.
4. Bake the cakes for 27-32 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Remove cake pans to a cooling rack and cool in pans for 15 minutes. Turn them out onto the cooling rack to let them cool completely.
To make the filling:
- Combine the semi-sweet chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, heat until the cream is heated and the chocolate starts melting. Set 30-45 second intervals and check.
- Add in the vanilla extract and stir to melt the chocolate completely. Set aside to cool.
- Note: Allowing the ganache to cool will make it easier to spread onto the cakes without overflow.
To make the frosting:
1. Combine the dark chocolate and 2 ounces of the cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the cream is hot and the chocolate is soft. Stir to melt the chocolate completely. If you see that the mixture is too thick to pour, add more cream and reheat. Let cool just slightly.
To assemble the cake:
- 1Level each cake so that the tops are flat. Place the first layer on a cake stand and spread half of the semi-sweet ganache filling to cover the cake. Leave a 1-inch border along the edge.
- Place the second layer and cover with the remaining ganache.
- Place the third layer on top. Press down on the cakes gently. Note: If your cake is wobbly, place wooden or metal skewers into it to hold it together while you frost with the dark chocolate ganache.
- Pour the dark chocolate frosting over the top and spread it down the sides carefully.
- Carefully cover the cake with a dome and allow to rest until the ganache is set, several hours or overnight.