Pasta is for sure my one number kitchen weakness. I would eat it every single night of the week. I’m sure I’ve said this before so I won’t go on and on about my love for pasta, just know that there is great love for it in my kitchen. And here is Blue Cheese Pasta 🙂
I had a partial amount of a block of Maytag blue cheese that I wanted to use so I did a little searching and came across this recipe for a Gorgonzola pasta. Gorgonzola and blue cheese are too terribly far off from one another in taste. They are both sharp and smooth at the same time, something that I definitely enjoy in both kinds of cheese.
The blue cheese is definitely present when eating this dish but it’s not overpowering at all. It just adds a little creaminess to the tomato sauce and also a little tang. It’s a great way to change up a regular tomato sauce and is quick enough for an easy weeknight meal.
Blue Cheese Pasta Ingredients
- 1 pound medium-sized dry pasta shapes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion, minced
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (about 1,5 oz.) blue cheese (crumble it)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot of salted water cook the pasta, then drain it and set aside.
- In a large saute pan heat the oil at medium heat, add onion and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5-7 min until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add garlic andtomato paste and garlic and sauté with onion for 1 minute more.
- Add crushed and diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of sugar, stirring, then add the vinegar. Bring to boil, cook without lid for about 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes thicker. Add the cream and simmer for 1 minute more. Stir in the cheeses, basil, and cooked pasta.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.