Pumpkin Gingerbread Mini Loaves – So now that we are past Thanksgiving, it’s time for me to truly get into holiday baking mode. I am determined to get all of my holiday baking done and to get treat baskets to everyone on my list. Somehow the baking always gets pushed back and I end up not making everything that I intended to and then don’t have goodies for all the people that I want to share them with! Not acceptable.
I wanted to test this recipe before I added it to gift baskets because I just wasn’t sure if the ginger it would be overpowering, the pumpkin too subtle or strong. I just wasn’t convinced but it sounded interesting so I thought I’d give it a try. And I wanted to use my mini loaf pans that have been sitting in a cabinet for almost a year! For shame.
I’m so glad that I tried these because this treat is by far one of the BEST quick breads that I have ever made or tasted. It is definitely gingerbread-y but in the best of ways with just a slight hint of pumpkin. The bread is moist and tender but sturdy enough to add butter to a slice, if you are so inclined. 😉
I gave away most of the test loaves and we ate the rest while my in-laws were here. It made for a great addition to our breakfast!
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease two 9×5 or 4 mini loaf pans; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, applesauce, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended.
3. Stir in pumpkin, ginger, allspice, and cinnamon.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Do not over-mix.
5. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour for 9×5 pans, 30-45 minutes for mini loaf pans (begin checking around 25 minutes for mini pans).
Adapted from Eat. Drink. Smile.
Pumpkin Gingerbread Mini Loaves