Peach Ice Cream – It seems that for every season that are fruits or vegetables that I look forward to more so than others. For summer, it’s peaches, and being that we live in a city that has ‘peach’ in it’s name, it only seems fair that we eat an abundance of peaches and in any form. 🙂 A former neighbor had peach trees in his yard. How I will miss going across the street and picking fresh peaches right off of the trees. There just really isn’t anything better that a peach straight from the tree that is warm from the (hot, hot) Georgia sun. 🙂
Speaking of hot – this has been a record breaking summer – who doesn’t love ice cream in the summer (or any time of year)? I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve had the ice cream attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer for 2 and a 1/2 years without using it!! I made my first batch finally and am now hooked!
With a basket full of peaches sitting on my counter, I couldn’t really not make peach ice cream. This recipe delivers some very intense, sweet, creamy, perfect ice cream. It’s dreamy. And being that July is National Ice Cream Month, I will have to see how many more batches I can whip up.
Peach Ice Cream
- 3 large peaches, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the peaches and water. Cook, covered, stirring once or twice, until the peaches are soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and add in the sugar. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. Add the room temperature peaches and their juices to a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients. Pulse briefly so that the mixture is well combined. (For a smoother ice cream with no chunks of fruit, continue to process until completely smooth.)
4. Transfer the mixture to the refrigerator and chill thoroughly. Once chilled, transfer to your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
as seen on Annie’s Eats, originally from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.
Peach Ice Cream