Green Monster Smoothies – These green monster smoothies are no stranger to food blogs lately. I see them popping up everywhere. I originally wasn’t going to blog these mainly for that factor but we have them so often and on the off chance that you haven’t seen them elsewhere, I thought I’d share them!
My very best friend and roommate toward the end of college, Heather, introduced me to making smoothies at home. This was definitely an ‘aha moment’ for a broke college girl!! All you need is fruit and juice and a smoothie you have. No more shelling out $5+ dollars at the college gym or the local smoothie place.
With Jack going through a picky phase (please, please let it be a phase), we’ve been trying anything and everything to work more vegetables into his diet. This smoothie is a great way for him to get vitamin rich spinach that he normally wouldn’t otherwise touch. I know the green can be off putting but you truly cannot taste the spinach. Promise!!
Smoothie options are endless, especially with the variety of frozen fruit that you can find at the grocery store. I always keep a bag of mixed frozen fruit in the freezer just for smoothies. To keep this one green though, stick with yellow or orange fruit. Red fruit with taste just fine but it won’t be pretty green anymore. 🙂
Green Monster Smoothies
Makes about 16 fluid ounces, serves about 2
- 6 oz. pineapple juice
- Handful of fresh baby spinach
- Handful of frozen diced pineapple
- Handful of frozen sliced peaches
- ⅓-½ banana, fresh or previously frozen
- Splash orange juice (or more as needed)
1. In a blender, combine pineapple juice and spinach and blend until well combined and not large pieces of spinach remain.
2. Add in frozen fruit and blend. Add orange juice as needed. Blend until desired consistency is reached.