Cowboy Caviar or Chuck’s Party Salsa – Whatever you call it, this party food is one of my favorites! The cul-de-sac in our neighborhood had a get together this weekend. The invitation said to bring either a dessert or side item. The neighbor I went with was brining dessert, so I went with a side item.
I had a hard time deciding because it’s been so hot out, I wanted something that would keep well. I went through cookbook after cookbook and then Ta-Da, there was the recipe for Chuck’s Party Salsa from my aunt Margaret. Yay! I’ve made this a number of times and every time, it’s great.
My neighbor said that they call it Cowboy Caviar and what a great name for it! I like this salsa because it’s not soupy and the lime gives it such great flavor. It’s a perfect summer treat!!
Chuck’s Party Salsa or Cowboy Caviar
- 1 16 oz. can of black beans, drained and well rinsed
- 1 medikum size can of shoepeg corn, drained
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, washed, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium ren onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin (begin with 2 tsps. and add to taste)
- 2 Plum (or other) tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 6 drops Tabasco (or other hot sauce), or to taste
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes (or more to taste
- a dash of salt
Mix all together and serve. Can refrigerate overnight but some of the texture will be lost.
Always check seasonings before serving.
(Sorry about the picture, the better camera is MIA. Ugh.)